Dealing with ‘maskne’ & learning how to prevent it
In 2020, we’ve all had to get used to many things - and wearing masks is one of them. Whether you’re dealing with pesky breakouts or not, it’s important to keep the skin underneath your mask happy and healthy!
The easiest way to do this is by cleaning your skin and your mask regularly and using masking products that contain the best ingredients for acne-prone skin.
‘Maskne’ is a common side-effect of wearing face coverings, along with other skin issues like redness and irritation. If you’ve noticed you’re breaking out more than usual, you’re not alone! Dermatologists would refer to this condition as ‘acne mechanica,’ which refers to irritation caused by heat, pressure and friction.
For healthy, clear skin, given the current mandates and restrictions- try making some changes to your skincare and makeup routines, and remember to treat your mask well!
Normally, oil, sweat and dead skin cells build up on our skin. When we wear a mask, it rubs against our face and traps those impurities in our pores, along with makeup. Add heat and humidity to the mix, and it’s the perfect environment for bacteria. The result? Clogged pores and acne, even if you usually have clear skin. Depending on your skin type, you may experience blackheads, whiteheads or painful cystic spots. This can cause skin conditions like eczema, rosacea, or it can even dry out your lips.
How to prevent and treat maskne:
Wash or replace your mask regularly
Clean them after every use, if possible. This will help to remove oils and dead skin cells that collect inside the mask, so you don’t transfer them back to your skin. To wash your mask, use warm water and a gentle detergent to reduce the chances of developing a skin reaction like contact dermatitis.
Commit to a daily skincare routine
Having a good skincare routine has always been important, but it is essential during this mask-wearing time and adding another step may make the difference. By being diligent in your routine, you will remove dirt, oil and grime from your skin before it clogs your pores. Helping your skin help itself will strengthen your protective barrier so it can combat bacteria on its own. We love the Elina Organics skincare line, it’s small batch, organic, and locally made!
We recommend doing this step-by-step maskne skincare routine in the mornings, and when you get home:
1. Start by removing makeup and surface bacteria with our Elina Organics Herbal Cleaner. Then, deeply cleanse your skin by applying the Elinas Organics Oil Control Formula over your face, neck and under the jawline. The best cleanser for acne-prone skin, it has a silicone brush head that sweeps away any impurities, leaving your skin feeling squeaky-clean - one of the benefits of double cleansing.
2. Apply a thin layer of the Crushed Copper Purifying Mask. Deeply purifying mask with pathogen fighting and skin-renewing Copper Powder. Additionally to it’s powerful antiseptic and healing properties, Copper helps to firm and rebuild the skin by stimulating the regeneration of proteins. Activated Charcoal with Kaolin Clay works together like a magnet to draw out impurities and toxins from your pores. The Fulvic Acid helps to reduce scarring and discolorations with an essential blend of trace minerals and electrolytes and improves your skin’s protective barrier, will balance your microbiome, and help prevent future breakouts.
3. Rescue Bio Hydrating Mist will moisturize your skin during the day when your face starts to feel dry. Hyaluronic Acid and Silk Peptides will help to immediately restore and revitalize your skin. This is the perfect mist for everyone especially during dry winter months.
4. Skin Recovery Protective Healing Cream is specifically formulated for irritated, inflamed, stressed, and acne-prone dry complexion. Extracts of Arnica and Spongilla have been used for centuries to heal bruised and damaged skin. Colloidal Copper additionally to its antiseptic properties also helps to rebuild collagen and elastin as well as speed up the skin healing process.
5. Sea Buckthorn is Nature’s Answer for Skin and Beauty! Loaded with antioxidants, including vitamin C and E, Sea buckthorn oil is well-known today for its healing and rejuvenating effects on the skin. Using this powerhouse fruit daily on the skin helps slow down the signs of aging by nourishing the tissues in your skin and body, hydrating your complexion and preventing wrinkles.
6. Finish with Sun Shelter is a 100% organic, guilt-free tinted moisturizer with a lightweight and natural coverage, sun protection, and anti-aging benefits all in one! Sun Shelter contains natural coloring made from Zinc Oxide, Spirulina, Sea Buckthorn, SunFlower Phospholipid, Sea Water Pearl, Chamomile, and Black Willow Bark. It will protect, nourish, and give your skin a beautiful dewy glow.
7. Exfoliate more often If you typically exfoliate once a week, try increasing that to twice weekly. Avoid harsh scrubs as they may irritate your skin, especially if it’s already sensitive. Exfoliate with the Organic Face Scrub removes dead skin cells & helps to clear blackheads with Crushed Walnuts. The fresh and hydrating extracts of Rose Hips, Burdock Root, Honey and Green Tea will leave your skin feeling soft, smooth and glowing, without over drying. The formula speeds up skin cell turnover, which is important when you're wearing a mask everyday.
8: Skip makeup under your mask! Masks can stress out the skin. One of the best ways to support your skin during this time is by avoiding makeup. It may block your pores, particularly if the weather’s hot and humid and you’re sweating under your mask.
It’s a good idea to skip lipstick, but if you would like more protection- Cappuccino with natural caffeine and antioxidants, Organic Coffee Extract, Shea Butter, Aloe Vera, and Vitamin E. Cappuccino will protect your face from wind burn during outdoor activities, by helping to seal in your moisturizer and create a protective barrier.
Skipping bronzer, blush and highlighter on your cheeks are a good idea. A good brow pencil and mascara or Xtreme Lash extensions with a little under eye concealer will be your go to!
Need these products? Shop here!
Use coupon code Elina42 to get 10% off